Frequently Asked Questions

1. Counselling versus Psychotherapy?

Both counsellors and psychotherapists use different kinds of therapies and interventions to accomplish specific outcomes. The choice of therapy varies on the diagnosis or need of the client. 

  • In therapeutic settings, Counsellors work with clients to find solutions to specific and immediate problems or issues. Counsellors rely on a combination of talk therapy, education and interventions to help change unwanted behaviour and issues that affect you negatively. Counsellors do not give advice; they help you find answers for yourself. For example, we may guide how to deal with grief, the death of a loved one, career challenges, family issues and intimate partner relationships concerns. A counsellor may direct a client to a psychotherapist if the problem or issue appears to be deeply rooted in the past or involves a complex mental disorder.
  • Psychotherapists generally provide longer-term treatment to clients with chronic and recurrent emotional problems. You need a psychotherapist if you have chronic medical conditions that affect your emotional well-being or have been diagnosed with a mental health disorder or condition such as anxiety and depressive disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorders, trauma and stressor-related disorders, decolonization and racial identity, and neurodevelopmental disorders such autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and so forth. 

2. What is a psycho-educational assessment?

If your child is struggling with reading, math, spelling, putting ideas on paper, or is generally struggling to reach their potential in school, a psycho-educational assessment can help identify processing strengths, weaknesses, and deficits that may need to be addressed, remediated, and accommodated. In addition, the assessment will provide a path for constructive intervention for improvement.

3. Is psychotherapy covered by provincial health care or extended health care?

Counselling, psychotherapy and psycho-educational assessments/consultations are not covered under most provincial health plans. However, it may be offered by your extended health provider (EHP). You must contact your EHP to know what mental health coverage you have under your policy. Ask about Street Therapys' options to use interns and sliding scale payments to help you out. 

4. What insurance plans does Street Therapy accept?

  • Manulife
  • Sunlife
  • Cooperators
  • Green Shield Canada
  • League
  • Medavie Blue Cross
  • Approved Mental Health Counselling for Non-Insured Health Benefit (NIHB) and Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program (IRS-RHSP)

If you do not see your EHP on the list, please contact us or contact your EHP directly to check if they cover our services. 

5. How much does it cost?
Individual therapy sessions range from $165 to $180 (+HST), and Couples and Family therapy sessions are $200 (+HST ). Rate varies by the psychotherapist. If you are under financial hardship and are committed to doing the work, our psychotherapy interns offer a sliding scale (lower fees). 

6. What payment options does Street Therapy accept?

Pay By: American Express, Cash, E-transfer, Health Savings Account, Mastercard, Visa

We use Stripe, an online payment processing platform to keep our transactions secure.  

7. What is your cancellation policy?

Street Therapy requires at least 48 hours' notice for appointment cancellations. Sessions cancelled less than 48 business hours in advance (not including weekends or holidays), and no-shows are subject to the full fee. It is easy to notify us of a cancellation, please phone our office at (647) 835-5804 or email us at: [email protected] or cancel your appointment in our booking portal. Please note that we do not accept or receive text messages.